Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Captain America Omnibus, and how do you pluralize that?

So, the first book that I read was the Captain America Omnibus, and the first TPB of the Death of Captain America. Let's break down what that entails...

Captain American Omnibus, which has the first 25 issues of Ed Brubaker's run, followed by an annual of sorts, and a one-shot called Winter Soldier: Winter Kills just to round out everything. This book is MASSIVE. It is novel sized, unlike other normal TPB's. Thank goodness its hardcover or this thing wouldn't survive a few years with me.
Then there is The Death of Cap America vol 1, which covers issues 25-30. So yes, I ended up getting one issue twice, I didn't see any other omnibuses(that sounds weird...omnibi?)at the store so I just went with it. They were cheap anyways over at HPB.

So yeah, over 32 issues, read within a day. Let me tell you, they were even more amazing now than they were when I first read them! I think Ed Brubaker's stories read better in one huge sitting, since each issue continues right after the other. So, when reading thirty issues at once, many subplots and references stay fresh in your mind so that when they are shown again later on you can actually catch them. Let me tell you, I missed a LOT when reading this issue by issue. In fact, I can now see where they are going with Captain America: Rebirth thanks to re-reading these issues.

The story is densely packed, each issue has a lot of information to process, and its definitely not standard Cap America fare. There isn't as much action as you'd have seen in the old stories, but when its there it really shines. The book has become a spy-thriller, and I think it works for Cappy these days. Ed Brubaker is a great writer, when he latches onto an idea that works, so thank goodness it works well in this book. The artists Mike Perkins and Steve Epting are also really good, providing a dark 'realistic' world for Cap and friends to play in. I'm just glad they found two matching artists here, otherwise this book would have been massively delayed due to Epting.

All I can say is, while I won't stop reading this book issue to issue, I will probably make a conscious effort to read the trades all in one sitting from time to time to catch things I once missed.

Next up is a two-fer! Grant Morrison's supposed epics, Batman: R.I.P. and Final Crisis.

Here's a little teaser, I hated them originally, but after reading R.I.P. I'm starting to see why a lot were enjoying this. All I can say is, Zur En Arrh!

No comments: