Saturday, March 13, 2010

Can't sleep, clown will eat me...

Well, after listening to the awesome podcast over at House To Astonish, I finally found out why I haven't been able to buy any comics from Amazon.com recently.

Apparently, there was a computer glitch between Diamond Shipping and Amazon, that allowed comics that normally cost around 50-60$ to sell for as low as 8$.

And here is me, slapping myself because I totally missed out on this.

Darn.

Oh well, got some comics today, and read some more within the last time I blogged earlier today, feeling generous in wanting to review some more books.

Annihilation: Conquest Book One
Ah, the sequel to the original Annihilation cosmic event by Marvel. Instead of Keith Giffen being the showrunner this time, you have to dastardly duo of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning(known as DnA to Marvel). They have a vast knowledge of the Marvel Cosmos, so one shouldn't worry that new guys run the show. Anywho, this new event starts off with the Kree empire rebuilding, with the help of the SpaceKnights(alas, still no ROM). Well, it has Annihilation, and Conquest in its title so obviously things aren't peaceful for long. A new evil alien entity heads in and takes over, the Phalanx. For those that don't know, think Star Trek's Borg, techno-organic beings that are a virus-entity that takes over other life forms. Bad news for the group. Well, book one goes over the prologue, the Star-Lord mini, and the Quasar mini. The Star-Lord mini is like the last event's 'Super-Skrull' mini, a guerrilla-war tactic against the main enemy. But this time its different! There's a living tree-organism and the ever-awesome Rocket Raccoon! Yep! The Quasar mini is fairly meh, at least until the end. Involves the new Quasar going in looking for the Kree savior. Kinda cool when the Kree savior is revealed, but until then its all standard blah blah 'I'm so unsure of myself' crud.
Other than that, a great start to the new cosmic event!

Nova Vol 1 - Annihilation: Conquest
The first 7 issues of this awesome title, and I'm glad I have this book its just amazing. The first couple of issues actually involve Nova, Richard Rider, going back to Earth and dealing with the events of Marvel's Civil War. Key Word: Deals with Iron Man, and lots of explosions! Then, the last 4 issues are the tie-in to Annihilation: Conquest, and since its written by DnA it ties in very well, without revealing too much of the main series. By the way, the artist Sean Chen, I will literally buy anything that has his name attached. He does great with space-alien stuff, and doubly great for armor based costumes. Great read, can't wait to read the next book.

Hulk Vol 1 - Red Hulk
Oh god....I really don't know why I bought this. When I originally read this, it was god-awful. Jeph Loeb has been utter crap in recent years, and this was no different. I still can't understand why I bought this. I guess I wanted to read something 'dumb' with action. Oh wait! I remember! Has the awesome, kinetic-charged, super-muscled art of Ed Mcguinnes. Whew, you don't know muscles until you see his work.
Now, after re-reading this. It wasn't THAT bad. Its bad, don't get me wrong, but its not that bad haha. It is readable, actually, and I think I know why I hated it originally. Horrible plot, bad characterizations, and they went and reverted Hulk to 'dumb' Hulk, fresh off his run of World War Hulk where he was a uber-badass, now he is all "Me no am happy! Me want to be left alone! Hulk is hulk! Hulk smash!" Eugh.

Oh well. Pretty art though.

Ok. Well thats it for now.

No comments: